Sunday, March 23, 2008

ring around the...roseola?!

I feel a twinge of guilt writing about these last few challenging days with Madison when we have had several wonderful months with her that I have neglected to blog about. But, maybe I can provide a recap of those fun times some time soon (as I pledged to my blog, I am going to try to post more frequently). I decided to write about this nasty little visitor to our family for two reasons: 1. to let all of our family & friends know that there was finally a diagnosis given for the funk that Maddie has had since Wednesday (thanks to all of you for your prayers and calls to check on her); and, 2. to acknowledge how grateful we are for Madison's incredibly easy temperament (as we have seen the other side of that these past few days).
When a prickly pink rash showed up today all over Madison's face, chest, and back, after three days of a high fever (over 104 at times!), I did what any 21st century mom would do...I googled it. My findings outlined her symptoms almost exactly--unusually high fever for 3-5 days, red or swollen eyelids, lethargic, and the development of a rash following the fever. I called her doctor, and he immediately confirmed the diagnosis. So, at least there is a name for the misery that our sweet girl has endured these past few days. Somehow that helps...me at least. Probably doesn't do much to console her. Hopefully she will be back to her normal self in the next few days. Like any other virus, it just has to run its course.

And that course has not been a very cheerful one. My heart has ached for her during these past few days, especially as the high fever lingered. Her little moans and her blazing hot skin kept me on the verge of tears. There are not many things more pitiful than a sick baby. When I talked to Madison's pediatrician today he asked me if she had become increasingly more fussy now than when she had the fever. Um, yeah. My little bright-eyed baby who seems to keep a smile on her face and a laugh on her lips...who is forever bouncing, exploring, and playing...has spent these last days either curled in a sleeping ball or in inconsolable tears. We've always known that Madison's temperament has given us a relatively easy run as first-time parents, but after a couple days of what feels like constant fussiness, we recognize more than ever how good we have it.

So, thanks, Roseola, for a bit of perspective. Now, please leave us alone!

the little patient...post-chest x-ray, bloodwork, and antibiotic shot (notice where daddy signed her "cast") "mommy's cell phone sure helps me feel better!"

easter morning...she may be sick but she still sure is cute!

3 comments:

Matt Hannam said...

Yay, I'm so glad you're back into blogging...we've certainly missed your fun yet inspirational posts, Kel! I'm glad that you finally figured out what is going on with Maddie and I'm sure praying she will feel better and better this week. I'm sure having mommy at home will make it all better.

Love you,
Whit

Kevin & Amy Sasser said...

Wow, the rash did turn out to be something. So thankful you finally know exactly what is going on with sweet Maddie. Praying for a special week for the two of you.

millie smith said...

thank goodness for a diagnosis!