Saturday, April 26, 2008

giving her back

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD."

~1 Samuel 1:27-28
I've always had a hard time with the story of Abraham and Isaac. And now that I have a child, understanding it has become even harder. God asks a dad to journey with his only little boy up to a mountain top where he is commanded to take his life. Why would our loving God ask such a horrible act from his servant Abraham? The crazy thing is that Abraham was obedient! He did it! (can you sense my self-doubt that I would follow through in the same way?) Well, he didn't really do it...he didn't end up having to...but he was prepared to do it.

So, as we dedicated Madison to the Lord last Sunday, I've thought about this near-tragic event that occured so many years ago. I can imagine an old man whose youth has been rejuvenated by the energy, curiousity, and playfulness of his young son. Their journey may have begun with conversation and maybe some laughter, but I bet with every mile, Abraham's heart becomes heavier. I imagine that, as they neared the place where the sacrifice would be made, Abraham is overcome with weariness--not so much from traveling, but from his torment within. I can imagine his face, the dirt from a three-day journey streaked by tears that flow silently and forcefully when his son asks him,

" Father...the wood and the fire are here...but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?"
(Gen. 22:7)

Just as God spoke to Abraham that day...as he taught him...as he protected him...God uses this story to speak to and to teach me. I can make sense of this incomprehendible request by knowing that God wants me to know He is sovereign. That He not only sees, but orchestrates the bigger picture. That His requests of us might seem crazy. Irrational. Non-conforming to the world. Like asking us to move to another country where we will be separated from family, friends, and all that is familiar, in order to share Christ with "the nations," as my sister is doing. Or asking us to trust Him admist what might the greatest tragedy imaginable, losing a child, as dear friends of mine experienced recently. Somehow I think Abraham had glimpse of God's big picture. He told this to the guys that were traveling with him,

"We will worship and then we will come back to you."
(Genesis 22:5b, emphasis mine)
Even though he was prepared to do what God had told him to do, I think he believed God would extend His protection and His mercy and that, in some way, God would allow him to return with his son. I am challenged by Abraham to be faithful. obedient. trusting. So, as we dedicate Madison to the Lord, may we do it daily. With faithfulness, obedience, and trust.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

beautiful girl, and great post.

Jenny said...

well said, sweet sister, well said.