Sunday, May 11, 2008

happy mother's day

I am blessed to be surrounded by many special moms. In the past few years many friends and my sister-in-law have become moms. I have learned from all of them. I am so appreciative to have them to walk alongside me as I have begun my journey through motherhood.

I am also thankful for my mother-in-law, Anne, or as so many of you know her as--Grannie Annie. I have felt treasured by her and part of her family ever since Charlie and I began dating. She has spoiled Emily and me as the daughters she never had...and I have not minded a bit! She raised three boys well...one of which I am especially partial to. Anne, thanks for teaching your son to love God, to be sensitive, to have a sense of humor, and to be a good shopping partner:-).

My Nannie is not just my Nannie--she's Nannie to many! She also raised three boys, all of whom she taught to be strong but gentle, to love the Lord with all their soul, mind, and strength, and to put family first. Nannie loves everyone. And loves them well. She is beautiful and despite the fact that she is now a great-grandmother, she is forever young! Nannie, thanks for giving Dad such a wonderful example of a parent to follow. And thanks for almost 29 years of hugs and kisses, lots of laughs, and your amazing cooking!

My Grandma died when I was in college. It makes me sad that she was not here to see me get married or to meet her great-granddaughter, but it makes me happy to know she is in Heaven with my Grandpa--living her eternal life with no pain....probably watching an extended marathon of Golden Girls. I remember her smile and her laugh and all the fun I had when I was with her.

I have always had an appreciation for my Mom (well, if you don't count 1990-1993, the middle school era). But since I have become a mom, that appreciation has grown ten-fold. Mom, thank you for being our taxi driver, for never missing a dance performance, awards ceremony, or cheerleading competition, for having dinnner on the table for us every night, for staying up late helping me with school projects, for encouraging me to be myself, for teaching me about the love of Christ, and for loving me unconditionally.

Love to all you moms!

7 comments:

millie smith said...

i love that picture! if that happens to be the train at pullen park (?), i took many a ride on it myself as a little chappie.

kelly said...

yes, that is the pullen park train!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Thank you so much for this blog to all the MOMS in your life. I do love you and Emily as if you were my own daughters. I learned this trait from my Mom who lost a son but before that included Scott as her own, too. She always treated Scott equal to my brothers and me. This capacity for unboundless love comes from knowing Jesus and praying to God. Love, Anne

Anonymous said...

lovely smiles! i'm enjoying reading your latest posts. our mum's day piccies are also up on wordpress.

Melissa said...

sweet. great pic, too!

Jenny said...

precious. and let's not forget who else is a wonderful mom...that'd be you, kel meister! you may have learned from some great ones, but your gentleness and compassion for others is a special gift from God. and i know that maddie feels that love from you every single day. happy belated mother's day!

Sara said...

I agree with Jenny...You are an amazing mom. And you do have some awesome moms to look to for how to be fun and how to love their children so well. PS--You and your mom are so pretty in that picture (and always!)