Sunday, November 2, 2008

costuming it up!

How fun it is to wear a costume? To be something or someone that is not you for just a night. I remember the anticipation of Halloween every year...it wasn't that I had any special affinity for the holiday itself. I wasn't ever into scary movies or even the candy that much. But the costumes. Oh I was into the costumes. Probably partly because of my creative parents and grandpa. They always made sure I had an original costume in the age of the vinyl smock-style outfits with the plastic mask and the character's face on the front. A la...
I know several of you all had those, so, please don't get offended. But seriously...please tell me why anyone needs a face on their face and on their chest. I also loved the masquerade of performing. There's just something magical about eyelining those little tails on the corners of my eyes while wearing a very regal, very poofy tutu. And of course, Jenny and I spent countless hours playing dress up. I can't even begin to tell you how in-depth we went with some of our "shows". We're talking multiple acts, playbills, you get the picture. Since Jenny was six years my junior, I was often the director/producer/choreographer, and of course the co-star. Maybe someday I'll post some photos of us in all our grandeur.

So, I think it's safe to say that I will try to foster that in my daughter. Of course I want her to find contentment in the way God made her, but I hope she will use her imagination and creativity, not only to have fun, but also to dream big.
This year for Halloween, I still got to call the shots (I may not be so lucky next year). Her costume was a hand-me-down, but I fashioned the wig myself...this is the closest I come to any craft involving yarn/thread. I am including some a pic from last year too. Wow. She'll be printing playbills and directing shows before we know it.
"raggedy maddie"
2008


"the chicken"
2007
Also, this year's video footage was just as hilarious as last year's. I tried to post clips of the chaos from both years, but I couldn't get '07 to load. So here's 2008...Especially amusing is the chain reaction of crying babies. Note that Maddie is keeping her distance.



6 comments:

millie smith said...

i started laughing at the chicken, forgetting how funny that costume was. then i was officially cracking up at the video.

Amy Sasser said...

like i have said ALL along, hands down, you all will win best costume each year. :) love the video and love too that jenny sent you flowers. just think it will not be long until you see her in person! yah

Sara said...

i love her costume...she is adorable as usual. she is a funny girl, too...i noticed that yesterday more than ever. love you.

Jenny said...

what a cutie pie! "raggedy maddie"...love it! you did an excellent job with the wig, p.s. it's unbelievable how much she has grown and that a whole year has passed since I took those pictures of her on the front porch w/out tights and chicken feet. :) can't wait to see those heritages soon! love you.

Jenny said...

p.s. we should totally reminisce over polaroids of some of our dress-up shows over christmas.

Melissa said...

omg, she is such a ham - i mean the second i bring out a tutu, she starts turning her body toward me, kind of on an angle, and smiling, looking all wide eyed like she knows she's gonna be able to play dress up. i love it. your wig was amazing, btw.